Nigerian ‘Sesame Street’ to feature health, nutrition and gender equality
The people that put together “Sesame Street” and Jim Henson’s “The Muppets Show” have been working to create a version in Nigeria called “Sesame Square.” They announced that the show will include an HIV-positive girl named Kami –- news reports describe her as ‘furry and yellow.’
Given that more than 40 percent of Nigeria’s 150 million people are under the age of 14, this Muppet is a great way to reduce stigma around living with HIV and inform kids (and their parents) about the disease.
Kami’s not new – she was introduced in 2002 to South African viewers, and has appeared across the world, including with former President Clinton.
And you may remember that there was quite a buzz in the U.S. about this, with several politicians threatening to cut funding for PBS if they brought Kami in (I wonder if this was because of the sad immigration ban that Congress imposed on HIV-positive people that was only recently lifted. Let’s hope that we’ve become more enlightened since then.
"The Global Call to Action Against Poverty can take its place as a public movement alongside the movement to abolish slavery and the international solidarity against apartheid." ~ Nelson Mandela. GCAP honours Mandela's words as we fight for justice and commemorate Int'l Rural Women's Day, World Food Day and Int'l Day for the Eradication of Poverty. Watch Mandiba's famous Make Poverty History speech.
- Solidarity, Justice and Freedom
- GCAP at the COP21 in Paris
- Solidarity Justice and Freedom. A statement after the recent terror attacks
- International Civil Society Call to Address Inequalities and Social Justice in Climate
- The New York Declaration
- CSO letter to Vice President Timmermans on the 2030 Agenda
- GCAP response to Addid Ababa Action Agenda (AAAA)
- Reactive on Zero Draft Post 2015
- From Labour Rights to Citizen Participation - the first 16 days of May Mobilisations
- Climate Justice, All Ages and Sexual and Reproductive Rights - May Mobilisations Continue
- The Elephant is Waiting!
- GCAP Statement on Forests, Food, & Nutrition
- GCAP Solidarity with Nepal
- Release the five Women Activists Now!
- Launch of action/2015
- A Red Flag for the United Nations
- Action/2015 - Launching Today
- "Peshawar: Social Justice, Not Terror"
- "Mutual Accountability: Data on its own is not enough"
- "GCAP Japan: More and Better Aid!"
- "Land Rights Now!"